The Almost Empty Nester: Disney Movies and Blueberry Muffins

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Disney Movies and Blueberry Muffins

Girly is home sick today. Nothing severe, just a bad cold. But she did a full day of school yesterday then played a volleyball game last night so her body is done. She decided to sleep in and rest.

I drove Thing 1 and Thing 2 to school then stopped and got her her favorite: a blueberry muffin from Peet's Coffee and Tea. I then strolled through Target for odds and ends and decided to grab her a Disney movie she's been wanting.

As I drove home I found myself - well - happy. Happy my kid is sick? Of course not. But happy to have a day with her. She's old enough to stay home by herself so I could go to CrossFit and do my normal day. But I decided to stay home and hang out with her instead. And I realize that what made me happy is being able to nurture her and spoil her a little for a day. I don't get the chance to do that much anymore.

My kids may be teenagers, but they're still my kids. And as much as I love to love on them for the day when they aren't feeling well, I know they like it as well. And they need it. And all the things I'm putting on hold for the day to spend time with her will still be there when the time with her isn't. I'm living for what is and what is today is an under the weather Girly who needs her mom.

Gotta go. There are Disney movies to be seen...

No comments:

Post a Comment