The Almost Empty Nester: What Is...

Saturday, September 20, 2014

What Is...



I love fall. I always have. I love the colors. Red, orange and yellow have always been my favorites. I had an all red room when I was a little girl. And I mean red and white wallpaper and red carpet. Yes, red carpet. It was awesome. 

I love leaving the windows open at night and waking to cool, crisp air as I'm snuggled under my warm covers with Hubby and my dog. (I have a wiener dog named Ramses. He's my fourth child.) I like sweatshirts and jeans, boots and scarves. God did not design me for hot weather. 

I got hit with a bad cold last night. No biggie, but definitely enough to knock me down a bit. I woke this morning just as I described above, tucked in tight, all cozy and happy. And I laid there thinking about how awesome it was to not have a single thing on our calendar. It's Saturday. I needed a down day and so did the kids. 

And then it hit me. I've accepted the change. I don't miss football anymore. Our fall this year is much calmer and you know what? I like it. 

Now the planner in me wants to go down the path of "Yay! Every fall will be this mellow." But I read my last post and remind myself to take it one season at a time. 

I'm trying something new. Instead of focusing on what could be or might be, I'm focusing on what is. And right now, life is mellow. Calm. Our weekdays are crazy with school and work but our weekends (which used to be nutso) are filled with lazy mornings, watching movies, baking, eating meals together and playing games. 

What will be? I don't know. But I know what is. And I like it. A lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment