The Almost Empty Nester: A Mama's Heart

Saturday, May 9, 2015

A Mama's Heart

One of my favorite verses in the Bible is Luke 2:51 - But his mother (Mary) treasured all these things in her heart.

This verse has come to mean different things for me over the years as a mom. I'll be honest, I didn't feel I had the time to treasure much when they were small and I had three kids under the age of three - two of them twins. Those years were survival.

But I get it now. There is so much to treasure. The word treasure can be defined as "the person whom a speaker loves." A treasure can be a person. I have three treasures in my life as a mom. They are truly pieces of my heart walking around outside my body.

When I think of this verse, however, I think of treasures as memories. There is an entire story in Luke 2 in which this scripture is embedded. I encourage you to read the whole thing. You'll see. There was a lot going on Jesus' life. So many amazing stories. And as I think of Mary and what that must have looked like through her eyes, I understand this verse. We moms watch our kids through eyes unlike any other. Their grandparents, their fathers, no one sees them the way we do. We're the mom.

I love pictures. I love to take them and I love to put them in photo albums for us to look through years down the road. I have to practically pull teeth to get my kids to take pictures now, but every once in a while, they will sit down and look through the albums I've made. And they love it. They ask me about the events in the pictures they don't remember and they talk about the ones they do.

I've had to be careful lately though in this day and age of social media. It's so easy to post every picture, share every moment. But in their vast wisdom, my kids have taught me to really think through before I do. Take pictures, yes, for my albums. For our family. But have them be ours, not the world's. And they're right.

I now have many times where we are laughing or playing a game or just hanging out like we do and I'm inclined to snap a photo and post it. But then Luke 2:51 plays in my head. Is this a moment I want just for me in my Mama's heart or one I need to share with the world? And I love social media. I think it's fun. I totally enjoy seeing my friend's pictures and their families. Love it.

But I want to always make sure I have some treasures that are mine and mine alone. I want my Mama's Heart full when my little ones fly from the nest. Treasures I can look at in my photo albums, but also ones I remember purely from a mother's heart. Comforting a teary child as they cry, talking with another about their hopes and dreams for the future. Laughing with another about silly things that don't seem to matter, but really mean everything.

The photo above is one of my all time favorite Mary moments. My hair is greasy, I'm in sweats, and I'm snuggling my babies. It's a Mama Heart moment for me. 

So I hope this Mother's Day is full of Mama Heart moments. Cherish them. They're yours and yours alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment