The Almost Empty Nester: Wings Like Eagles

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Wings Like Eagles

I'm a big fan of communication. I'm a writer. Words are my thing. But even more than that I'm a people person. I like how communication helps me relate to others.

Girly left tonight to go on a mission trip to Jamaica for 10 days. Her team will be teaching Vacation Bible School in an orphanage, help a village with building and repairs, and visiting the infirm to talk and pray with them. 

When she hugged me goodbye at the airport she handed me her phone. None of the kids can take any electronics with them. Quite frankly, it's a great way for them to disconnect from the social media obsessed world they live in. 

But for me, it means I can't talk to her or communicate with her for 10 days. 

This is torture for me. 

She went on this mission trip last year so this isn't my first rodeo. But it's still just as tough. I'm as much a product of my environment as anyone else. My kids and I text all day. And not just that, but we hang out and talk a lot too. 

The funny thing is, we didn't used to have that smart phone thing to rely on. And it's pretty cool, actually, that these kids have to rely on (gasp) card games and such to entertain themselves. And heaven forbid they talk and make memories without posting every moment or thought.  

And yes, in a year I will he facing her moving out of my house completely and going to college. But at least then I can still talk to her or text her. 

Yes, when she goes to college I will be praying like crazy for her. Always. But these ten days require more trust than the control freak in me is used to. Do I believe God holds her close? Yes. Do I believe God watches over her? Yes. Am I a mom? Yes. So it's my God given right to struggle as I let her go to use her wings. Wings God gave her especially for His purpose. Such as mission trips. 

So... I will pray these next ten days. For her safety. For her health. I will pray her home. And I willl miss her. Terribly. And I will cling tightly to the God she serves, the God I know holds us both. The God who is her strength to fly and the strength I need to let her go. 

The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace. (Psalm 29:11 NIV)

but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; (Isaiah 40:31 NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment