The Almost Empty Nester: The First Day And The Last First Day

Friday, August 14, 2015

The First Day And The Last First Day


The kids started school this week. It was Girly's last first day of high school and the boys' first day of high school. Many moms look forward to school starting, but not me. I have always mourned the end of summer and the beginning of my kids not being with me every day. People have suggested I homeschool but they misunderstand me. I don't want to teach my kids, I want to play. I want our lazy summers lounging in the pool and watching shows like Parks and Recreation.


This year is bitersweet. I cried proud tears as I watched Girly drive off to join her friends for Senior Sunrise and I cried proud tears a few hours later when I  dropped Thing 1 and Thing 2 off for their  first day of high school. So many friends say "How did this happen?" As if we blinked and our kids went from chubby faced toddlers to seniors in high school. But it's split for me. A part of me feels like I blinked and it happened. Another part of me feels as if we've walked this path as we should and, well, here we are.

I've never minded getting older. Or my kids getting older. Life moves forward. And it helps me stay focused on heaven -centered living. And I can truly say that although my heart aches at the thought of this being Girly's last year at home, my heart is also content. Content to embrace what is. I have a heart full of memories of what was and I'm confident in God's plan for what will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment