The Almost Empty Nester: Birthdays, First Days of School, and a Whole New Normal

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Birthdays, First Days of School, and a Whole New Normal

Thing 1 and Thing 2 turned 16 last week. I was an emotional wreck. Like, I made them watch videos of when they were babies and sobbed, kind of wreck. I'm sure I scared them with my neurosis. 


Bless their hearts. The stuff they put up with with me is precious. 

With them about to drive cars and head into that phase of teendom where they will test their wings more, along with their sister going to college, I think my emotional tank is kinda full. 

I know. I know. Duh. 

But as much as we KNOW as moms that stuff is happening, we don't really let ourselves feel it all the time. I tend to hold it all in, suck it up, say I'm fine until the dam bursts and I've got mascara running down my face and a good snot-nosed ugly cry going. 

The boys started school too. The first year without their sister. Cue another ugly cry on the drive home from dropping them off. 


It's my darn nemesis: CHANGE

I was talking to The Hubby the other night (as I cried) and recognized that it's not even change that bothers me so much. I like to try new things, experience new adventures. It's transition that I struggle with. Shifting from one way we do life to the next. Just as the seasons change and I go from wearing shorts and flip-flops to jeans and sweaters, I have to embrace a new mindset, a new weather system of sorts, as my kids grow and the seasons of our life ebb and flow. 

We find a new normal. 

I know our new normal will be full of many wonderful things, memories, moments my Mama heart will cherish. I'm just needing to slip on my sweater as the weather gets cooler and embrace what's to come in this next season. 

2 comments:

  1. As a mom, I get it. 20yob is in college, goes back next week; 17yob starts his senior year next week, the college tour this summer nearly broke my heart realizing he'll be gone next year; and 11yob starts middle school next week. The job that was supposed to get me out of the house a few times a week fell apart.

    I think it must be some kind of message from Jesus telling me He has other plans for me.

    Peace and Joy,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all so bittersweet, isn't it? I'm sorry to hear about your job. :( It's never fun when our plans change - never. But yes, God knows what he's doing. ;) When we trust Him it all works out. *Hugs*

      Delete