The Almost Empty Nester: For The Most Part, There Is Ease....

Friday, February 10, 2017

For The Most Part, There Is Ease....

Parenting is tough. It's baptism by fire and most of the time, you're simply trying to keep your head above water. Things are thrown at you and you respond. You solve. You deal.

But for the most part, there is ease.


There really is. I have a lot of friends whose kids are much younger than mine so they look to me for advice. They ask questions. The biggest ones now are, "Is it so terrifying to have them driving?" and "How are you doing with The Girl Child away at school?" My answers are, "Yes" and "I'm okay. I take one day at a time."

But I assure them that, unlike some of other parts to parenting, you ease into it. It's not like I woke up one morning and my oldest didn't live here. We had months to visit schools, pray, ask questions, pray, talk about options, pray. And when they started driving there was driver's education, prayer, lots of practice time on the road, tons of prayer, and a process of improvement and learning while yes, praying.

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm saying that most of the scary things don't happen overnight. We are able to ease into them. There is some time to adjust, time to learn, time to pray. There is time to talk to parents who have gone before me, who encourage me in my journey.

When my kids were little, my worries were mainly about keeping them safe. Get through the day with everyone in one piece. And I still want that for my kids. But they're basically quasi adults now. Their daily safety is mainly up to them. However, they're making their own decisions, navigating life on their own. That's scary for a parent. Cool, but scary.

But for the most part, there is ease. 

I'm grateful every day for my faith in God. For the fact that Jesus walks with me, as well as with my children. I don't know how I could ever do it without Him. And I believe because of Him alone, there is ease.



No comments:

Post a Comment