The Almost Empty Nester: Slow Simplicity

Friday, April 7, 2017

Slow Simplicity

I've been having trouble with my hip. It has slowed me down. And I don't like to be slowed down. I have a friend who says I'm a shark because I never stop moving. He jokes that he's never seen me actually sit down, at least not for more than a few minutes. And he's right.

But sometimes things like trouble with my hip slow me down. And I'm learning to see the importance of that. 

I'm embracing the slow simplicity of my life. 


I've mentioned in previous posts that my daily schedule changed quite a bit recently with my boys going to online school. No more carpools, no more getting up super early, no more crazy afternoons. I was listening to a friend of mine recently tell me about her schedule. I sat and listened and said nothing. She took my silence for what it was - I couldn't commiserate with her anymore because my world has simplified. She teased about hating me and we laughed over it. 

I'm also seeing what's important and what is not.

Spurred by various things I've been reading lately, I sat down about a week ago and literally wrote in my Bullet Journal what was a priority in my life. If something didn't fit into the five categories I have, then it got tossed. It's been fascinating to see how much smoother my days go, how the ebb and flow of my schedule is not stressful. I'm still getting a lot done, I'm just not stressing. It's huge

I'm enjoying the slow simplicity of my days.


By prioritizing, I'm seeing what goes and what stays. By making things go, I have more time for what stays. And it's a learning process. I had to re-work things again when I saw that I had put one category higher than another and it really needed to be the other way around.

I was able to get away with The Hubby last weekend, just the two of us. We had a lovely dinner with a gorgeous view. We went on walks where I used my new camera and actually stopped and took in the beauty around us.

I'm adjusting to slow and simple. And I'm finding I like it. A lot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment