The Almost Empty Nester: It's Time

Thursday, January 22, 2015

It's Time

I'm currently on a plane headed to Seattle. Girly and I are spending the weekend there and in Spokane looking at colleges. 

It's here. It's time. I must embrace what is as well as what's coming. Part of me is fine with that. Part of me is not. 

I loved college. Loved it. Some of the best years of my life. I met Hubby, married, made lifelong friends. And oh yeah, got a college degree. I'm excited for my daughter. I think she will thrive in college and have a blast. 

But that means she's flying on her own. Without me. Not at home. The reality of not being able to see her every day hits me like a Mack truck sometimes. Yes, with texting and Skype and Internet she won't be far away. But I won't be able to hug her every morning or watch Disney movies on the weekend. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm whining, for sure, but I'm grateful. I don't take for granted her ability to go to college, to have this opportunity. But little by little the band aid is being peeled away and it hurts. 

I am excited for this weekend though. We have such different personalities, Girly and I. I'm eager to see her reactions to different schools, cultures that are different from what she's always known. Her response. 

I was anxious yesterday and texted a heart friend to talk it out. She said "Hello??? This trip is big. Embrace it and write about it." ️How well she knows me... 

I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment