The Almost Empty Nester: Not There Yet...

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Not There Yet...

As an Almost Empty Nester, I was recently hit over the head with the Almost part of that name tag.

We are in the thick of college stuff with Girly, getting her signed up for SAT's, making sure she's focused and finishing her junior year of high school strong, and are listing the colleges she wants to apply to and getting organized to do so. It's a lot. It's like a part-time job added to my list of things to do, as well as hers, and at times I feel consumed by it.

The other night I was chatting with Thing 1 and Thing 2. We were talking about school and grades and such and what sport and/or activities they want to do in high school. They are ready to work hard and are excited for the years ahead.

I cried myself to sleep that night. Yes, my kids are awesome and I am so proud of their discipline and focus. But I cried because I felt that I've been failing the boys. I've been so focused on Girly and all she needs right now, thinking about her leaving the nest and not being here that I forgot about the two yahoos who still need me. A lot. High school is tough. They aren't almost gone.

They're teenagers now. Girly drives and their schedules are quickly becoming their own. But that doesn't mean they don't need the stability of my presence that they've had since they were born. They need me less, yes, but they still need me.

So I am an Almost Empty Nester. I am adjusting to what is coming but need to focus on what is right in front of me. Girly is still here. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are definitely still here. Change is coming, but right now is where I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment