The Almost Empty Nester: Just Wait

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Just Wait

Girly got home two nights ago from her Jamaica missions trip. Her flight got in at 11 p.m. so we didn't fall into bed until 2:30 in the morning. But my mama heart fell asleep so happy to have her home and under our roof again. When she left I had a few people say, "Just wait until she goes to college." They mean well, but I really hate when people say Just Wait. Just wait until they crawl, walk, go to kindergarten, graduate high school... You get the idea.

I don't want to wait. I want to embrace now. I KNOW it will suck when she goes to college. I KNOW I will miss her so much I will ache. (And for the record, at college I can call her and talk to her. During this missions trip I had zero contact with her.)

But that is my point - whatever I feel now, I want to focus on and feel NOW. I want to embrace missing her while clinging to the fact that she's following God's path for her life. All the stuff that's coming as I head toward an empty nest will be there for me to feel and experience THEN. I want now. Because right now I am humbled by how my children love. My prayer for them has always been and always will be that they to cling to Jesus. To love Him with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength. And love others in His name.

As any parent knows, time goes pretty fast with kids. Some days feel slower than others but yes, we blink and they go from being cradled in our arms to flying from the nest on their own. So I don't want to just wait. I want to be in the moment. I want now. Because now is full of laughter, smiles, hugs, tears, learning, growing, and all that gives them what they need to boldy fly. And I don't want to be so focused on then that I miss now.

No comments:

Post a Comment