The Almost Empty Nester: Everything Is Different

Saturday, October 24, 2015

Everything Is Different

I did another college visit with Girly this past weekend. This time it was to the college where my husband and I met and graduated from. We have no huge aspirations of her going there, but it's on the list, so we visited. (I love this pic. The Hubby played baseball and hit a few home runs over that exact fence in the distance there.)

Our last college visit was back in January and it's amazing to me the difference in the two trips. Not because the schools are so different or in very different areas weather-wise and such, but in the mind-set and maturity level of my precious girl child. Don't get me wrong, this kid came out grown up. She is 17 going on 27. She's been mature from the get go. But on our first college visit, her mind was back at high school, texting her friends and not really focusing. This time, she was all in, very aware of what the next step in life means, where it can take her.

She barely peeked her head out of the nest last time. This time, she stood on the edge and surveyed the great beyond.

And it wasn't as scary for me as I thought it would be. In fact, it gave me a bit more peace about her eventually taking that first leap and using her wings. She is seeing now what is coming and although she has normal butterflies in her stomach over that, she's excited. It's an adventure and as the times grows closer, she's more and more prepared.

Funny how that works. As a parent, I think of the scary things ahead, such as Thing 1 and Thing 2 driving. But when the time comes, you teach them, guide them, and before you know it, they're ready. They're flying. Their wings work and they're grinning at you from ear to ear because of what they are experiencing. It's pretty cool to see.

I surprised Girly with a day in Disneyland on this trip. It was exhausting, but super fun. At one point, a song from the movie Tangled was playing and there's a line that says, "All at once, everything is different." Girly looked at me and said, "Mom, everything is different. But I'm okay with that. I'm ready for it."

Oh, sweet precious child of mine. I'm so glad to hear it.

My mama heart isn't quite as sure, but I'm so truly glad she is. God's got her. She knows it, and I know it. When the time comes for her to fly, we'll be ready. I know she'll soar, and I can't wait to see the ear to ear grin when she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment