The Almost Empty Nester: So Many Lasts

Saturday, November 21, 2015

So Many Lasts



People talk about their kids' senior year. The cost, the craziness, how it goes by in a blur. And for the most part, that's true.

Maybe it's because I'm trying to be intentional with Girly, but I feel as if this year isn't moving fast. It isn't moving slow either, just at a steady pace. But it's a steady pace of "lasts". The last Homecoming game, the last time she will be home for my birthday, her last volleyball game. 

So many lasts. 

I know there is a great new beginning in the near future for her but I am currently crying tears left and right for all the goodbyes happening now. It's like one, long slow goodbye. Her last volleyball game was a week ago. We both cried through the evening. Yesterday, I took the school's volleyball sticker off my car (yes, I'm that mom) and I cried while I did so. It's the end of an era. 

I don't mean to discount Thing 1 and Thing 2. I know I still have a few years left with kids in the house.  My high school days aren't over. But they are with Girly. My only girl. The boys don't play the same sports or do the same things. So it's a goodbye to this stuff for good. And it's tough.

We went out as a family last night for a nice dinner to celebrate Hubby's birthday. It was two hours of  great food and much laughter. Not unlike many of our other familly dinners. I looked around the table at one point and really soaked in the moment. Each smiling face, twinkling eyes. Simple things, but oh, such precioius moments. I believe I've talked before about the verse in the Bible that says Mary hid all the memories of Jesus as a child in her heart. (Luke 2:19) My mama heart was full of memories last night. 

So, as I say goodbye during all the "lasts," I embrace what is. Cry when I need to. Laugh. Give lots of hugs. Because in the midst of the pain is a great peace that what is ahead will be just as precious. Just as wonderful.


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14078747/?claim=6v7azasuhef">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment