The Almost Empty Nester: The Magnitude of a Mom

Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Magnitude of a Mom

I've always known the importance of a mom in a child's life, but until recently, I didn't see the magnitude of what her presence in a family really means. The depths of her influence on those around her, and specifically in her home.

Don't get me wrong, Dad's are uber important too. But in this blog, we're gonna talk about Moms.

A month ago, I did a 21 day sugar detox. My blood sugar was high at my last doctor's appointment so I wanted to do something to change that. With the help of a friend who is a nutrition consultant, I mapped out a plan and did the detox. It wasn't easy, but it was completely worth it. I feel better, I've lost some weight, even my anxiety is lower. What I didn't expect, however, was the change in my kids. My whole family, really. One son gave up soda during that time. My daughter did her own pull back from sugar as did my other son. My husband did the detox with me, helping with the cooking and making sure we were reading labels, etc. That one change in my life had a huge impact on theirs.


You see, as much as a huge responsibility it can be, we moms lead. We may not want to sometimes but we do by default no matter what. It's up to us to decide exactly how we do that. 

I don't like to cook. I can do it, I just don't particularly enjoy it. So it's funny that food preparation and eating is one of the big ways I influence my family. But by default, it is. So I have to decide how to lead. Keep in mind, I didn't tell the kids, "We're all doing this." I just said what I was doing and my choices trickled down into theirs. 

I spent the past month going back and forth to Colorado to see my family. I have four nephews. One of them had brain surgery recently. I was going there to visit and help in any way I could. My nephew is through surgery and doing well but has a long road of recovery in front of him. His mom (my sister) did not leave his side. For 35 days she slept in his hospital room, cared for his every need, while working from her laptop and keeping her family running. She has wept quietly only a few times as not to upset my nephews or brother-in-law. She is a pillar of strength and I firmly believe her family is following her lead. 


Don't get me wrong. I am in no way saying we as moms need to always suck it up and never admit that life can be hard or a situation isn't painful. Being honest and authentic with my kids about life is important as well. But we moms have a so much power. The magnitude of our influence is huge. Sometimes that weighs heavily, but mostly, it's a gift. 

We have the ability to show our kids God's faithfulness. To live out His grace and kindness. To choose healthy and strength so we are able to care for others in His name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment