The Almost Empty Nester: All That We Love Is Fine

Friday, March 24, 2017

All That We Love Is Fine

A few weeks ago I had my sister guest blog here. It was a letter to her sons a year after one of them went through brain surgery. She has four boys - my amazing nephews. I love them as if they were my own.

My brother-in-law visited recently. In the midst of us trying to get ready to go to dinner and beat the traffic and crowds, he stopped and said, "Hey. Everything we love is fine. All the kids are good. We're good. Let's just relax."

Sound advice. And a comment I've been thinking about quite a bit since he said it. I'm not sure if I'm a product of my generation in that we are programmed to go, go, go, or if it's my wiring as a forward thinker, mover, always ready to get on to the next thing instead of embracing what's right in front of me.

The Hubby and I were talking about it later. We both mentioned how my sister and her family had gone through the tremendous stress and uncertainty of the months during my nephew's surgery, as well as the summer before having to evacuate their home because a fire raged near their community.

This is real stuff of life, people. The stuff that makes you see what really matters.

All that we love is fine.


I hate to admit it, but it's all too easy for me to get caught up in thinking that what matters is making sure we miss the crowds when we go to dinner, or not go through the stress of traffic. But really? Come on, Lara. Piddly, little, nothings are those things that don't deserve one moment of thought or concern.

I've been thinking a lot lately about priorities. I even sat down and wrote out in order what really matters, numbering things from 1 to 5. In my Bullet Journal I use, I wrote in the first page the order of what matters to me in life. So now, as I write out my daily To Do list, I number things. What is most important? What is least important? In only a few days I can see how much this is changing my thinking. The little things remain little, the big things I give time and attention to.

All that we love is fine. 

A picture from a stroll I took on Sunday with The Hubby. :) 

Our pastor has been preaching on Matthew 6:21. Where is my treasure? What do I value most? These are good questions to ask, and also good to be brutally honest when I answer them. I try to ask myself all the time, "What is the goal?" Is the goal to have a perfect day? Nothing going wrong? Skip through tulips from sunup until sundown? Maybe, but that's not realistic. At all. Is my goal to have kids that never mess up? Also highly unrealistic. I'm not perfect. Why should expect that of them?

Would it really be all that bad to get stuck in traffic on the way to dinner? Irritating, maybe. But on the whole, no big deal. And if I choose a good attitude, I could see it as more quality time with the people I'm in the car with. The ones I love.

Because all that I love is fine.

And that's where my treasure is. That's what truly matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment