The Almost Empty Nester: There Is No More

Friday, March 10, 2017

There Is No More

I walked with a new friend the other day. We connected in Bible Study over mutually questioning whether or not we were doing all we could/should be doing in a day. (I'd like to say right here and now that I broke up with the word "should" years ago, but it still tries to have a relationship again every now and then.) 

Anyway, we talked about the basic ongoing struggle as a mom to realize our value when the world goes Mach 2 and we are able to, or choose to, go at a slower pace. To the Mach 2 world, we can look lazy. (Another word I loathe). But we don't want to operate on what others think of us so we chatted about that too.

The bottom line is, we doubt our value when we wonder if there is more. 

And I've decided that there is no more

There is what God has placed in front of me today. And I am enough. All that I do is enough. Who I am is enough. 

I'm reading a book right now called A Millions Little Ways by Emily P. Freeman. I'm highlighting so much of it the pages look as if they were meant to be yellow instead of white.

"We are not trying to become a better version of ourselves. Instead, we begin to uncover the person whom we have forgotten we already are."
I honestly cried when I read that line. It was as if a two ton weight was lifted off my back. I am always striving for better, for more. When who I am, what I have, all I do, is enough.


We live in a world where it's easy to see pretty much everything people are doing. As my brother-in-law says, "We are all our own PR department now." Man, do I agree with that. It's easy to think that our neighbor's efforts to better the world are more important, more noble than how we care for our family and home. Or that our simple act of taking a friend a meal when they're sick pales in comparison to the next person's grand gesture that got hundreds of likes on Instagram.

"But there is a difference between embracing your smallness in the presence of Christ and feeling like a nobody in the presence of others."

Am I doing now what I'm supposed to be doing? Yes. Even if my pace seems slower than the rest of the world? Yes. I may have an Almost Empty nest, but I'm still raising these kids. And it's enough.

Please don't misunderstand me. Every effort to better our community, our world, is worth it. But for myself, I need to not get caught up in the comparison game or I start to think there has to be more and I lose my focus on what is.

There's a scene in the movie As Good As It Gets where Jack Nicholson's character stops in the waiting room at his therapists' office. He looks around at everyone and says, "What if this is as good as it gets?" Great movie. Great line. But it's not what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about a ho-hum existence that's wrapped up in only things about myself. I'm talking about embracing what God has put in my life right now, throw my energy and resources into that, instead of always thinking I should be doing more. Something different.


There is no more. If I'm honest with myself, I don't need more. But the incorrect tapes in my head say otherwise. They say I could volunteer here or give more of my time there. Why?  I know deep down that all I'm doing is enough, but why won't I believe it? Embrace it?

It's time to re-program the tapes in my head with truth.
It's not about me. "If I sink hard into God, he will buoy my soul on top of the water."

I won't always be doing the same thing. (My nest will empty) "I don't believe there is one great thing I was made to do in this world. I believe there is one great God I was made to glorify." 

Be myself. Right now. Right where I am. "I can't imagine anything more dangerous to the enemy of our hearts than people who know who they are."

That last line gives me chills. I want to know who I am in Christ. I want to be that person. I want to get up each day and live for him, knowing that I can make a difference in this world for Him in a million little ways.

What about you? What is the "more" in your life you'd like to let go of? Or what do you love about your day that you want to embrace more?

*All quotes are from Emily's book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment