The Almost Empty Nester: The Good Parts Of Change

Friday, March 3, 2017

The Good Parts Of Change

Thing 2 and I went to visit The Girl Child this past weekend. It was super fun. Not only did we get to hang out with The Girl Child, I got to spend a lot of one-on-one time with Thing 2. That's tougher than it seems when you have multiple kids, especially twins.

When we got home, I was talking to The Hubby about our trip. I relayed all the funny things that were said and done, but also the poignant moments and comments made. Most of all, it was fascinating to step back and watch the two of them together. All three of my kids are close. They are best friends and each other's advocate.


But as I observed the two together, I saw how each one had matured and changed over the past six months and how that mixed with who they've always been. How they tease one another, the private jokes they share now mesh with the adults they are becoming, the maturity that comes with time and experience.

I feel as if I'm coming out of the fog of sadness I was in for months when the Girl Child first left. But after this trip, I see that this journey to an empty nest will ebb and flow just like every other part of motherhood. I came home mourning the fact that we will never be just the five of us ever again. Yes, we will be close, but the kids will fly and create their own lives - as they should. But all of us under one roof, functioning as a unit just us? Those days are gone.


But the days ahead are full of joy and laughter as well. I know it. New memories to make, and at some point, most likely, new people as well as the kids marry and have children of their own. Our family will grow and that's great with me. My mama heart has room for more precious moments to tuck away and keep in my memory.



2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog, and I love it. I'm not to far behind you in almost being an empty nester, my daughter is 16 and my son is 14. I am looking forward to reading all your past posts, as well following your continued journey, all the while going on my family's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan!!! I'm so glad to see you here. :) It is an interesting journey, for sure. LOL But one filled with good, tough, memories, and wonderful moments I wouldn't trade for anything. Thanks so much for commenting. I look forward to chatting with you more... Lara

    ReplyDelete